Is it legal to play on Sbobet in USA?
13 October 2020
Sbobet is an online gaming platform that operates in the Asian gambling market. It is highly likely that you will come across the name when looking up online gambling platforms. Online gambling platforms have become very good at advertising and making it easier for novice players to register. But Sbobet mobile does not register players from the US. Many players wonder, is Sbobet legal or illegal in the US?
Online Gambling Regulations in the US
The legality of online gambling in the US is not very clear for many gamblers. The feds and state governments have regulations that sometimes differ. Online gambling has been frowned on by the federal government for a long time. The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 discouraged internet gambling. Gambling platforms registered outside the US found ways around the act often with disastrous legal consequences when the feds caught up with them.
The Internet Gambling Regulation, Consumer Protection, and Enforcement Act of 2007, allowed some form of online gambling except sports betting. However, different states have voted to allow sports betting since 2012.
US States that Allow Online Sports Betting
Sports betting is predicting the outcomes of a sport and placing a bet or wager on that outcome. Many online gambling platforms prefer to call their members ‘players.’ In the US, many states allow sports betting only for bets placed with a bookmaker registered in that state.
In effect, it means that a bookmaker has to obtain a license for each state. This makes it difficult for online bookmakers like Sbobet online platform to operate.
Presently, the states allowing online sports betting are
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
To find out more about legal sites allowed in the US and best offers check the PartyCasino review here.
Sbobet Registration in the US
Sbobet is popular in the Asian countries for sports betting with offers for all kinds of sports, including exotic ones like Muay Thai and E-sports which are popular in Asia. The sbobet casino offers hundreds of traditional casino games. It is registered in the Philippines and the Isle of Man. There are several masqueraders like sbobet 2 who piggyback on the brand to cash in on the lucrative Asian market.
While the ban was lifted, Sbobet has not registered in any state in the US. This effectively means that it would be illegal to place a bet with Sbobet even if you managed to register. However, Sbobet does not register US-based gamblers.
Registration applications from US IP addresses are not accepted. Even if you registered using tricks like VPN connections, you would be breaking Sbobet terms and conditions, risking your money in the event of a dispute.
Sbobet has had a fair share of controversies in its dealings;
- In 2008, Sbobet was accused of match-fixing in a game between Derby County and Norwich County. The accusation was not proven true at the end of an investigation by the English FA.
- In 2009, Sbobet was accused of encouraging betting on games by minors. This followed sbobet offers on academy football games in the UK. Sbobet was accused of exposing activities by minors to gambling which was a bit distasteful for the majority for many people in the UK.
- In 2009, Sbobet was accused of match-fixing games by Levski and CSKA Sofia in Bulgaria. There was strong suspicion but no evidence was found.
- In 2014, Sbobet was mentioned in an illegal gambling racket involving Hong Kong gangsters Wei Seng Phua and Paul Phua. The bets were placed for the 2014 World Cup games. Sbobet strongly denied the links to the triad organized crime.
- Sbobet was accused of operating in countries where sports betting is illegal including Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. Authorities have arrested gamblers using Sbobet in these places. In 2012, Bangkok police arrested operators of a call center that was taking bets for Sbobet. The online bookmaker argued that they registered illegally by masking their IP addresses.
Are You At Risk Playing Online With Sbobet?
There are several risks of gambling online with a platform not registered in the US;
- The data you provide on sbobet mobile casino is not protected by US data privacy laws. This means the bookmaker is free to sell it to other gambling marketers for marketing purposes. You are also at risk of adverse legal and financial outcomes when your personal data is used for fraud and other illegal activities through identity fraud.
- The bookmaker is not bound by the terms and conditions, because your registration is illegal in the first place. You have no recourse in the event you have disputes about your deposits or withdrawals.
- Your betting earnings could be declared illegal and subjected to seizure by the authorities
Should You Register With Sbobet?
While sbobet has many offers, the financial and legal risks of online sports betting on the platform are too high. There are other alternative online sports betting platforms fully registered in the US. You have good alternatives, and you are better off exploring other options.